• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

swollen lymph node

SangerRainsford

Bluelighter
has been swollen for over a month, it's freaking me out and i cannot find anything definitive on it - some sites have me calm, some freak me out.
any insight on a randomly swollen lymph node would be great, especially things that typically reduce/remove this swelling!

Oh man, please do yourself a favour and STOP looking at internet diagnosis websites!!! I once had myself convinced I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma just from matching up my symptoms :D Completely ridiculous.

Which lymph node is it, i.e. where on your body?

It really is most likely absolutely NOTHING to worry about. For example, the swollen lymph node I had was due to an ingrown hair causing a small localised infection. See? Nothing at all to worry about :)

The next step is for you to see your doctor to get it checked out, just to be sure and just to pur your mind at ease.

Remember, those diagnosis websites are BAD!! All they are good for is fueling hypochondriasis. Don't use them anymore :D

it's the one beneath my chin, off to the side (top of throat)
/fully agree re those websites!!!!! nothing worse lol! but this is something that i always could reliably expect when, say, i had a cold. when i was better, it'd go away, but this won't!

I actually have-seemingly the same thing. I've convinced myself its a tumor (possibly Lipoma) considering I have a tendency toward benign tumors. I have currently a lipoma on my back next to my spine about three-four inches across, and 2 inches or so protruding, and the abnormality in my neck that could either be an over-taxed lymph node, as I have multiple allergies (no basis) or tumor. It's even visible outside of skin, and my facial hair grows slower over the spot (this is recent). It itself hasn't grown though. Still, if it is a node just messed up, if I could I'd wish to remove it.

Although admittedly I find it nice that I'm not the only one with a complaint like this, I hope yours doesn't last as long as mine(over 10 years at least), and is resolved soon.

And I third beware of internet diagnosis... I've however been to a doctor or two for mine and they tell me "that's just the way youre built."... but I find it yard to believe when studying and living with myself.

Have you tried taking an anti-histamine to see if it responds to that?

Last edited:
<<last post was lulz, sry ;PP>>

'26'- how old r u?
/and any input on whether removal of a lymph node is dangerous? was under the impression they are basically an "extra filter" in the body..would only let one be removed from myself if it were cancerous
//it doesn't respond to anti-hist.'s; i should probably elaborate here - i used diphen(25mg.s) for sleep, for like 5yrs. I've used it on/off, typically in 2-5month regimens, and have never noticed anything. i started a ~2wk regimen after noticing my swollen node (lymph/ Left-on-upper-throat), and didn't notice a thing at any point in the day <<<i try not to touch it - from what i've read, and i agree reading shit on this tends to be counter-productive lol, but from everything i've read, touching/playing w/ it tends to exacerbate the swelling, so i leave it alone, only gently touching when my paranoia demands so ;P

but i've actually changed my mind now. it's not a tooma...

about ten years ago i along with many others got a bacterial infection from an unclean hot-tub at a cabin in gatlinburg that caused all of us to experience extremely swollen glands all over, along with fever and general illness among other symptoms. i had to have multiple rounds of antibiotics before mine was finally knocked out, but i think i might have waited the longest to get treated. basically, i remember when i first started to notice this, and i believe it began with infection(s).

but i guess i'll find out. it's something that's been incessantly on my mind

^I'm 29.

did yours just come on all of the sudden without any previous infection? any change in diet (possible food allergy?) my neck used to have a lot more swollen areas before i recognized i had a milk allergy... but this one spot remained, and doesn't seem diet-related.

mine's the same spot, btw.

Last edited:
Have you checked the nodes under your armpits if those are swollen I would be concerned. shit just realized how old this was my fault fuckin xanax lol.

I found lumps on the back of my neck and around my chin, go to my doctor all freaking out and turns out they're just swollen lymph nodes...I didn't even know I had lymph nodes there. He determined it was from a sinus/ear infection I didn't even know I had. It would be worth a trip to the doctor, antibiotics take care of it.

have you tried detoxing? i have lyme disease and i get the same thing. mainly a big one on the right side of my neck. it changes size sometimes and bothers me a lot. If i do lots and lots of stuff to detox it helps a bit though. I use activated charcoal or bentonite clay. You could also use sea salt+vitamin c flushes.

i didn't think of it as detoxing or anything, but come to think of it i have been being way healthier in all regards since this started bugging me out.
/can't tell if it's helped the node, but has made everything else better (as expected!)